I have not had much of a chance to get into my studio lately and sorely miss the action that happens there. So, last week, instead of working on a big quilt I chose to cut up a piece of fabric that I hand dyed last year with my group, Pandora’s.
I like to work small sometimes cause it gives me a chance to keep my fingers and head busy with some creative stuff but it doesn’t take a ton of time!
I’ve always wanted to work with just one fabric but I always thought it would be with a commercial fabric, finding some way to try and make each piece I used look different. You know how hard that can be.
For this piece I just cut strips from the yard of fabric, then cut those into smaller rectangles. Because it has a nice mix of toned down blues and purples it worked quite well as a one fabric piece. I wanted to work quickly and not think about things too much so I fused the rectangles to a large piece of fusible web. Next came a frame for it.
My daughter helped me audition the border and we settled on a cool eggplant batik. I cut a rectangle to include the borders I wanted, fused a piece of fusible to the back then…beleive it or not, I cut a whole in the middle for the hand dyed center section. I told you, I really didn’t want this too take long. I then fused the two to a larger piece of batting. Top was done!
It’s not quilted yet, been testing out some ideas and I still have to add some embellishments, thinking about beads or bundles. Got that last idea from Sonji Hunt (June 25th entry). You have to take a look at her work, the colour is what drew me in at first. Ooohwee!!
Gotta run, you may have not noticed the time of this post but I really should get some rest. I have an early day tomorrow.
See ya next time “In the Hayloft”,